Miami University Wellness Services/Mercy Health - Intern Athletic Trainer
Miami is an Ohio public university. Miami University strives for inclusive excellence and promotes a welcoming community for all by providing an integrated, holistic approach to diversity, equity, and inclusion through structures, policies, initiatives, and programming. Miami is a residential university with faculty who are dedicated to learning and discovery. A liberal education core provides the foundation for the more specialized studies of the majors. Immersing students in both academic and co-curricular experiences has enabled Miami to achieve a top-tier national ranking among universities that provide the best student outcomes. Founded in 1809, Miami's name reflects the history of the Native American tribe that once inhabited the Miami Valley region of Ohio. Miami maintains strong ties with the Miami Tribe, now located in Oklahoma. The main campus in Oxford, Ohio (35 miles north of Cincinnati) encompasses 2,138 acres and includes 188 buildings. Regional locations include Hamilton, Middletown, and West Chester, Ohio and the European Center in Luxembourg.
This position specifically supports the mission of the University and the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics by assisting in institutional compliance with NCAA and Conference rules and regulations. Position requires experience with both female and male student-athletes.
This unique, full-time internship position offers experience with both Miami University Intercollegiate Athletics and Club Sports in Oxford, Ohio. The intern will provide weekday practice and athletic training room coverage for intercollegiate athletics , with occasional weekend event coverage. Club sports responsibilities include weekday athletic training room and weekend event coverage. Coverage includes, but is not limited to: Soccer, Softball, Football, Ice Hockey, Quidditch, Field Hockey, Ultimate Frisbee, Lacrosse, Rugby, Boxing, Baseball, and Volleyball. The intern will report directly to the Mercy Health Sports Medicine Manager and the Assistant AD for Wellness Services.
Duties include prevention, evaluation, treatment and rehabilitation of injuries to athletes (male and females) participating in Miami University Intercollegiate Athletic program. Supervision of student athletic trainers in clinical and educational setting and possibly teaching courses in the athletic training curriculum. In addition, duties will include maintaining medical records, travel with specific teams, coverage of specific practices and home contest.
1. Supervise the scheduling of pre-participation physical examinations and health appraisals.
2. Prevention, evaluation, treatment and rehabilitation of athletic injuries under the direction of the Associate AD for Humans Performance and Wellness Services/Head Team Physician and Assistant AD for Wellness Services
3. Provide medical coverage for practices and contests as designated.
4. Supervise the medical coverage of teams as designated - M/W Swimming and Diving and Club Sports.
5. Provide medical coverage for home practices/contests and possible away contest coverage as directed by the Associate AD for Humans Performance and Wellness Services/Head Team Physician and Assistant AD for Wellness Services
6. Communicate the status of injured athletes to the Associate AD for Humans Performance and Wellness Services/Head Team Physician, Assistant AD for Wellness Services and Associate Director of Wellness Services, respective coaches, acting as a liaison between physician, athletes, coaches, and
7. Communicate and coordinate, with respective coaches, current health care standards and implementation of medical policies.
8. Assist in recruiting of prospective student trainers.
9. Assist in supervision of athletic training students in educational and clinical settings.
10. Maintain certification in the National Athletic Trainers' Association
11. Maintain State of Ohio Licensure as an athletic trainer
12. Assure that all appropriate NCAA rules and regulations are followed as they apply to the sports medicine program
- • 4 Year Bachelor’s Degree in Athletic Training
- • BOC Certification
- • Ohio OTPTAT Board Licensure
- • BLS or AHA CPR Certification
- • Comprehensive, affordable medical, dental and vision plans
- • Paid time off
To apply, please visit:https://careers.mercy.com/us/en/job/R154007/Athletic-Trainer-Intern-Miami-University-for-Mercy-Health
If you have any questions or would like more information, please contact Katie Hamberg at firstname.lastname@example.org or Jennifer Beardslee at email@example.com.
Miami University - Mercy Health is an equal opportunity employer.